RELEASING THE PROPHETIC
This handout has been prepared as a guide to facilitate your own study of Scripture. Please read all Scripture references in context.
To teach and equip the body of Christ to build God’s church, encourage God’s children, and honour God’s Son, Jesus, under the leading of God’s Spirit, through the Gift of Prophecy.
WHAT IS PROPHECY
- GOD speaking to His people through OTHERS
- A way of knowing TRUTH about God, man and the world. Its starting point is God and its source of knowledge is divine revelation – truth received, rather than truth achieved by autonomous human reason or experience.
- Prophecy presupposes a transcendent world view; that is a Creator and a spirit world that are separate from, yet influence and communicate with man.
- Prophecy is the mode and the content, and the prophet the human agent of that communication.
- Prophecy has its SOURCE in the Spirit of God
- 2 Peter 1: 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit
DEFINITION OF PROPHECY
- H5012 – Nawbaw: A primitive root; to prophesy, that is, speak (or sing) by inspiration (in prediction or simple discourse): – prophesy (-ing) make self a prophet.
- G4396 Prophētēs: From a compound of G4253 and G5346; a foreteller (“prophet”); by analogy an inspiredspeaker; by extension a poet: – prophet.
- THE GIFT OF PROPHECY: for all
- THE OFFICE OF THE PROPHET: for God’s chosen person
SOME MYTHS ABOUT PROPHECY
- God doesn’t use people like me to prophesy
- Num 11 29But Moses replied, “…… I wish that ALL the LORD’s people were prophets and that the LORD would put his Spirit on them!”
- Joel 2: 28″And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on ALL people. Your SONS and DAUGHTERS will prophesy, your OLD MEN will dream dreams, your YOUNG MENwill see visions. 29Even on my SERVANTS, both MEN and WOMEN, (see Acts 2:16 in New Testament).
- It is difficult to prophesy
- 1 Cor 12:1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be IGNORANT.
- If I mess up, I can do harm therefore it’s better I do not try
- 1 Cor 14:1Follow the way of love and EAGERLY desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of PROPHECY…..3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their STRENGTHENING, ENCOURAGEMENT and COMFORT. 4……but he who prophesies edifies the church.
- Prophesy is not really important
- Joel 2:32And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be SAVED;
- 1 Cor 14:5I would ….. RATHER have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the CHURCH may be EDIFIED.
- 1 Cor 14: 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a SINNER and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and WORSHIP God, exclaiming, “God is really among you
- I’m too old for that stuff
- Luke 2: 36There was also a PROPHETESS, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37and then was a widow until she was EIGHTY – FOUR.
SURVEY OF THE OLD TESTAMENT
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work
(2 Tim 3:16)
- OTHER RELIGIONS HAVE THEIR OWN PROPHETS
- 1 Kgs 18: . 19Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel’s table.”
- THE ACTIVITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Empowering / changing into a DIFFERENT person
i. 1 Samuel 10: 6The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person.
- Coming ON the person
i. Ezek 11: 5Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon me, and he told me to say: “This is what the LORD says: That is what you are saying, O house of Israel, but I know what is going through your mind.
- PROPHETIC ACTIONS
- Using an ACTION to accompany words in declaring God’s will
- TYING sticks together
i. Ezekiel 37: 15The word of the LORD came to me: 16″Son of man, take a stick of wood and write on it, `Belonging to Judah and the Israelites associated with him.’ Then take another stick of wood, and write on it, `Ephraim’s stick, belonging to Joseph and all the house of Israel associated with him.’ 17Join them together into one stick so that they will become one in your hand.
- SMASHING a clay pot
i. Jer 19:1This is what the LORD says: “Go and buy a clay jar from a potter….. 10″Then break the jar while those who go with you are watching, 11and say to them, `This is what the LORD Almighty says: I will smash this nation and this city just as this potter’s jar is smashed and cannot be repaired.
- THROWING salt in water
i. 2Ki 2:19 The men of the city said to Elisha, “Look, our lord, this town is well situated, as you can see, but the water is bad and the land is unproductive.” “Bring me a new bowl,” he said, “and put salt in it.” So they brought it to him. Then he went out to the spring and threw the salt into it, saying, “This is what the LORD says: ‘I have healed this water. Never again will it cause death or make the land unproductive.’ ” And the water has remained wholesome to this day, according to the word Elisha had spoken.
- PURIFYING poison food
i. 2Ki 4:38 Elisha returned to Gilgal and there was a famine in that region. While the company of the prophets was meeting with him, he said to his servant, “Put on the large pot and cook some stew for these men.” One of them went out into the fields to gather herbs and found a wild vine. He gathered some of its gourds and filled the fold of his cloak. When he returned, he cut them up into the pot of stew, though no one knew what they were. The stew was poured out for the men, but as they began to eat it, they cried out, “O man of God, there is death in the pot!” And they could not eat it. Elisha said, “Get some flour.” He put it into the pot and said, “Serve it to the people to eat.” And there was nothing harmful in the pot.
- DIVIDING the water
i. 2Ki 2:8 Elijah took his cloak, rolled it up and struck the water with it. The water divided to the right and to the left, and the two of them crossed over on dry ground.
i. 2Ki 2:23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. “Go on up, you baldhead!” they said. “Go on up, you baldhead!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.
ii. 2Ki 3:16 “This is what the LORD says: Make this valley full of ditches. For this is what the LORD says: You will see neither wind nor rain, yet this valley will be filled with water, and you, your cattle and your other animals will drink. This is an easy thing in the eyes of the LORD; he will also hand Moab over to you. You will overthrow every fortified city and every major town. You will cut down every good tree, stop up all the springs, and ruin every good field with stones.” The next morning, about the time for offering the sacrifice, there it was—water flowing from the direction of Edom! And the land was filled with water.
|Prophecy and faith are 2 sides of same coin|
2Ki 4:32 When Elisha reached the house, there was the boy lying dead on his couch. He went in, shut the door on the two of them and prayed to the LORD. Then he got on the bed and lay upon the boy, mouth to mouth, eyes to eyes, hands to hands. As he stretched himself out upon him, the boy’s body grew warm. Elisha turned away and walked back and forth in the room and then got on the bed and stretched out upon him once more. The boy sneezed seven times and opened his eyes.
iv. A man came from Baal Shalishah, bringing the man of God twenty loaves a of barley bread baked from the first ripe grain, along with some heads of new grain. “Give it to the people to eat,” Elisha said. “How can I set this before a hundred men?” his servant asked. But Elisha answered, “Give it to the people to eat. For this is what the LORD says: ‘They will eat and have some left over.” Then he set it before them, and they ate and had some left over, according to the word of the LORD.
v. 2Ki 5:9 So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha’s house. Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, “Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.” But Naaman went away angry and said, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than any of the waters of Israel? Couldn’t I wash in them and be cleansed?” So he turned and went off in a rage. Naaman’s servants went to him and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed’!” So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, u as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored v and became clean like that of a young boy.
vi. 2Ki 5:26 But Elisha said to him, “Was not my spirit with you when the man got down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to take money, or to accept clothes, olive groves, vineyards, flocks, herds, or menservants and maidservants? Naaman’s leprosy will cling to you and to your descendants forever.” Then Gehazi went from Elisha’s presence and he was leprous, as white as snow.
vii. 2Ki 6:5 As one of them was cutting down a tree, the iron axhead fell into the water. “Oh, my lord,” he cried out, “it was borrowed!” The man of God asked, “Where did it fall?” When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it there, and made the iron float. “Lift it out,” he said. Then the man reached out his hand and took it.
viii. 2Ki 6:18 As the enemy came down toward him, Elisha prayed to the LORD, “Strike these people with blindness.” So he struck them with blindness, as Elisha had asked. Elisha told them, “This is not the road and this is not the city. Follow me, and I will lead you to the man you are looking for.” And he led them to Samaria. After they entered the city, Elisha said, “LORD, open the eyes of these men so they can see.” Then the LORD opened their eyes and they looked, and there they were, inside Samaria.
- UNANSWERED PROPHETIC ACTIONS
i. 2Ki 4:29 Elisha said to Gehazi, “Tuck your cloak into your belt, take my staff in your hand and run. If you meet anyone, do not greet him, and if anyone greets you, do not answer. Lay my staff on the boy’s face.” ….. Gehazi went on ahead and laid the staff on the boy’s face, but there was no sound or response. So Gehazi went back to meet Elisha and told him, “The boy has not awakened.”
- SPIRITUAL WARFARE
iii. 2Ki 3:26 When the king of Moab saw that the battle had gone against him, he took with him seven hundred swordsmen to break through to the king of Edom, but they failed. Then he took his firstborn a son, who was to succeed him as king, and offered him as a sacrifice on the city wall. The fury against Israel was great; they withdrew and returned to their own land.
- CURRENT APPLICATION(These are illustrations of specific leading by the Holy Spirit. Lease DO NOT make these into “rules”)
iv. Prophetic declaration of how the church in Sivalo will grow
- Everybody held hands, faced OUTWARDS, and walked out as far as their outstretched arms would allow.
v. Prophetic action breaking strongholds in people’s lives (Leon Kotze)
- Placing glasses upside down on a table and STRIKING them with a hammer.
vi. Prophetically calling people to a new start in life
- TURNING a person 180 degrees
vii. Prophetically calling a person to step over challenges
- Inviting a person to STEP over a line (drawn or imaginary)
- FALSE PROPHECY
- Through IMAGINATION
i. Ezekiel 131The word of the LORD came to me: 2″Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: `Hear the word of the LORD! 3This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! 4Your prophets, O Israel, are like jackals among ruins.
- Through DIVINATION; false visions; idolatry; delusion
i. Jeremiah 1414Then the LORD said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.15Therefore, this is what the LORD says about the prophets who are prophesying in my name: I did not send them, yet they are saying, `No sword or famine will touch this land.’ Those same prophets will perish by sword and famine. 16And the people they are prophesying to will be thrown out into the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and sword.
- Direct influence of EVIL spirit (prophesy = ecstatic behaviour)
i. 1 Sam 18: 10The next day an evil spirit from God came forcefully upon Saul. He was prophesying in his house, while David was playing the harp, as he usually did. Saul had a spear in his hand 11and he hurled it, saying to himself, “I’ll pin David to the wall.” But David eluded him twice.
ii. 1 Kings 18: 27At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention.
- Manipulation and INTIMIDATION
i. Nehemiah 6: 12I realized that God had not sent him, but that he had prophesied against me because Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him. 13He had been hired to intimidate me so that I would commit a sin by doing this, and then they would give me a bad name to discredit me.
- Consequences for intentionally prophesyingFALSELY
i. Eze 13: 9My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations.
- RELEASING THE PROPHETIC
- Through MUSIC
i. 1 Samuel 105″After that you will go to Gibeah of God, where there is a Philistine outpost. As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, tambourines, flutes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying.
ii. 2Ki 3:15 But now bring me a harpist.” While the harpist was playing, the hand of the LORD came upon Elisha and he said, “This is what the LORD says: Make this valley full of ditches.
- Through beingWITH Other Prophets
i. 2 Kings 23The company of the prophets at Bethel came out to Elisha and asked, “Do you know that the LORD is going to take your master from you today?”
ii. 2 Kings 2: 5The company of the prophets at Jericho went up to Elisha and asked him, “Do you know that the LORD is going to take your master from you today?”
iii. 2 Kings 2:7Fifty men of the company of the prophets went and stood at a distance, facing the place where Elijah and Elisha had stopped at the Jordan.
- Through Being ANOINTED / COMMISSIONED
i. 1 Kgs 19: anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet.
PROPHECY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
- SOME EXAMPLES
- Lk 1:46 Mary’s prophecy about Jesus
- Lk 2:28 Simeon’s prophecy about Jesus
- Lk 2:35 Simeon’s prophecy about Mary
- Acts 11:27 Agabus predicts a famine
- False Prophet: Acts 13:6 Bar Jesus a “pseudo-prophet”
- RELEVANCE FOR TODAY
- Matt 8: 22Many will say to me ON THAT DAY, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’
- Acts 2: 16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17″ `In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. 18Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit IN THOSE DAYS, and they will prophesy.
- EXPRESSIONS OF THE PROPHETIC
i. 1 Cor 2 4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
i. Matt 16: 21From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
i. Existing Prophetic Songs: These are the days of Elijah
ii. Inspired Prophetic Songs
i. Revelation of specific passage:
- Isa 54:2 Enlarge the place of your tent
- Isa 41:2
- Jer 29:11
- PICTURE(Vision; Dream)
i. Description of something you see that you describe or paint
- Acts 9: 12In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”
- WORD of Knowledge
i. A word of knowledge can be given, followed by a prophetic word about what God wants to do about the situation.
- TONGUES / Interpretation
i. These also form part of the prophetic in operation
- 1 Cor 14: 6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?
- ORIGIN OF THE PROPHETIC
- STARTS with the Holy Spirit
i. Luk 1: 67His father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied
- MANIFESTATION of The Spirit
i. Manifestation: G5321 phanerōsis; exhibition, that is, (figuratively) expression, (by extension) a bestowment: – manifestation.
ii. 1 Cor 12: 7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
- GOD Appointed
i. 1 Cor 12: 28And in the churchGod has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
- Gift of GRACE
i. Rom 126We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.
- CHRIST Appointed
i. Eph 4: 11It was he (Christ) who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,
- 12to prepare (completely furnish) God’s people for works of service,
- so that the body of Christ may be built up (build a concrete building)
- 13until we all reach unity in the faith
- and in the (discerned) knowledge of the Son of God
- and become mature (complete),
- attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
- PROPHETIC ACTIONS
- TYING A BELT
i. Acts 21: 10After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, `In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’ ”
- PROPHETIC ACCURACY& ORDER
- Do Not Treat With CONTEMPT
i. 1 Thess 5: 19Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; 20do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21Test everything. Hold on to the good. 22Avoid every kind of evil.
- Not a Sign of SPIRITUALITY
i. Matthew 7: 22Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
- WEIGH What is Said / Maintain Order
i. 1 Cor 14: 29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
- Be CLEAR / Take a breath
i. 1 Cor 14:8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying?
- THE TEST FOR PROPHESYING PUBLICLY
- Does it EXALTJESUS?
i. 1 Cor 14: 25….. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”
- Will it BUILD the CHURCH?
i. 1 Cor 14: 26….. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.
- Is it BIBLICAL?
i. 1 Cor 14: 29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.
- Use DISCERNMENT
i. Acts 16: 16Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit by which she predicted the future.
- THE PROCESS IN A CORPORATE SETTING
- The CONTEXT of the Prophecy
i. The prophetic message comes through a person with their own culture, education and language.
ii. You speak in your own accent, with your own vocabulary, expressing what you believe the Holy Spirit to be saying in your own way.
- RECOGNISE the Prompting of the Holy Spirit
i. The Holy Spirit does NOT FORCE you to do anything you do not want to do.
ii. Some signs that the Holy Spirit may be prompting you include:
- A more intense heart beat
- A feeling like “butterflies in your stomach”
- Knowing that you know that you know
iii. Until you have a proven track record , it is better to start off with words like, “I believe God is saying ….” rather than “God is saying.”
- “I see a picture of ……………” rather than “God is showing me a picture”
- A song generally needsno introduction.
- PRACTICE discernment
i. Is it for YOU?
- If you argued on the way to church and the verse is about peace – it’s probably for you.
- If you’ve been sick and the verse is about healing, ask the Holy Spirit if this is for you, or for the church / people you are with. Then follow through.
- Is it for a particular person you know? If so, ask a leader to be present and give the person the prophecy.
ii. Is it for NOW?
- Ask the Holy Spirit. It’s unlikely to be God if you want to deliver the message by interrupting the sermon.
- Is it for speaking out or for praying into?
iii. Does it FIT with the general flow of the service?
- A word encouraging people to tithe more faithfully while the church is singing in praise and worship, does not generally flow.
- You start with a THOUGHT / Impression; the Holy Spirit leads with the rest.
i. Starting with a SCRIPTURE
- You may be prompted to encourage people with a verse or passage you know, or you have a specific Scripture reference on your heart.
- Read it out with the reference.
ii. Starting with a PICTURE
- Start describing the picture and allow the Holy Spirit to lead in further detail.
- NOTE: Do not try to interpret it. The Holy Spirit can interpret it differently in the hearts of the people it is for.
iii. Starting with a THOUGHT or a few words
- In faith, start speaking the thought or few words and the Holy Spirit will give you the rest of the thought / words.
- NOTE: If you start and nothing flows, then stop. This is unlikely if you have followed local protocol below, but rather treat the moment with integrity even if you feel foolish for a moment.
iv. Starting with a SONG
- You follow the repetitive chords of the band, the bad does not follow you (unless the anointing touches them all dramatically)
- Often you will have been singing the song in your heart before you even leave your seat. You start with the first words and let the flow of the Holy Spirit take over.
- Do not force anything (rhymes; verse – chorus – verse; etc)
- HONOUR local protocol
i. Submit to Local LEADERSHIP
- Approach a local leader and tell the person in detail what you believe is a prophetic message.
- Be content whatever their response may be. If they ask you to speak it out, do so. If they ask you to go back to your seat, do so. Once you have delivered it to leadership, you are released by God from your responsibility.
- Leadership has the responsibility to decide if the prophecy requires a response from the congregation, not you.
- Keep the focus on JESUS
i. Keep the focus on Jesus when delivering the message. The following tips may help:
- It is not necessary to tell people about the circumstances or background to the prophesy
- It is not necessary to face the congregation or stand so everybody can see you
- Deliver the message and ONLY the message
- Start speaking when the Holy Spirit starts speaking through you, and STOP when He stops. You can “feel” when the anointing stops. Stop immediately. It is dangerous to try to interpret what just happened and carry on with your own imagination because you feel the message was incomplete.
- RELEASING THE PROPHETIC
- Recognise Leadership has a GOD-GIVEN Responsibility
i. Tit 1: 5The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you.
ii. Heb 13: 17Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.
- Become God’s LOVER (Let His love flow through you)
i. 1 Cor 13: 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
ii. 1 John 4: 19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother
- Test EVERYTHING against God’s Word
i. 2 Tim 3: 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- EXAMINE your of Lifestyle
i. Isa 28: 7Priests and prophets stagger from beer and are befuddled with wine; they reel from beer, they stagger when seeing visions,
ii. 1 Cor 6: 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body
iii. Jam 3: 9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.
- BePASSIONATE about Prophecy
i. 1 Cor 14:1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy…..3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4……but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would ….. rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
ii. 1 Cor 14: 39Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy
- Laying on of HANDS / Baptism in the Holy Spirit
i. Acts 19: 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.
- Speaking in TONGUES
i. Acts 19:6 they spoke in tongues and prophesied.
- THE LIFE-LONG JOURNEY
- ALWAYS Be Accountable
i. Be TEACHABLE and accountable for what comes out of your mouth
- 1 Cor 14: 29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.
ii. Ask a leader to WITNESS what you say (if its one on one)
iii. Receive feedback with HUMILITY
- PracticePARTNERING with the Holy Spirit; write it down
i. Write it down: ask the Holy Spirit to put somebody on your heart and to give you a prophetic word for them. Then write it down and (while you are growing in the gift) submit it to leadership for feedback, before giving it to the person.
ii. Participate consistently in growth forums: Friends has many forums in which you can practice partnering with the Holy Spirit in the prophetic. They include open prayer meetings and Life groups.
- Do NOT FEARMaking Mistakes
i. Realise you WILL make mistakes: You learn quickest through making mistakes. Humility allows you to apologise, get feedback, learn, and try again.
- Acts 21: 10After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, `In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’ “
4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5″I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. …. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:4-5, 7-8
Bruce Jackman: Friends Christian Fellowship, 2007